little things.

Come on in and celebrate the small with me. It's the fragile, little things of life that take our breath away, make us smile, give us a reminder or pause us for prayer. It may be a quote, a thought, a verse, a happening in the day or even some real baking.....you can be sure, whatever it is, it will be in a small bite and you will be able to get on your way. And oh, by the way, share a little thing back because I listen real big.....(at least for the next 5 minutes).

Thursday, August 25, 2011

little bites: the guacamole cup

Growing up in San Antonio meant growing up part Mexican. Don't get me wrong, I remember the Alamo and the hard fought battle for Texas freedom but even Crockett must have been a little distracted when the smell of corn tortillas came wafting over those mission walls. If someone patented that smell as a perfume, I would buy it. Nothing smells better to me than an authentic mexican restaurant preparing masa in a fryer. By far and away, the best of the best is Teka Molino in San Antonio.

As a little child I felt that this restaurant was simply an extension of home. It was only a minute from our house and I can still remember being allowed in the kitchen to watch the machine in the back make the best tortillas in town. That was over 40 years ago. 

A decade ago on my yearly trip home, I walked in there, as I always do, to get a guacamole cup----a homemade cup made from fresh masa that has been deep fried to perfection and filled with creamy guacamole and a perfect shredding of lettuce. I have never found another restaurant in all the world that even has these little babies on their menu-believe me I've looked! 

To my surprise, standing behind the counter wearing that familiar white apron was the same man that used to let me visit the kitchen as a child. Here I stood at the age of  41 ordering a guacamole cup and feeling 8 years old again . 

Maybe it was the smell of corn tortillas fresh from the oven; maybe it was a feeling of nostalgia, maybe it was the anticipation of my pending annual guacamole cup..... Whatever it was, sentimentality overtook me and I decided to ask him for more than food.

At this time in my life I was wondering if the mundane things that seemed to dominate my every day existence were really making a difference in my world.  I said, "Sir, you don't know me but I know you. I've been coming in here to eat your tacos for decades. What is it that keeps you doing what you do, day in and day out for so many years?" He got a big grin on his face and said, "Where else am I going to get a free cup of coffee!"  

He will never know how much he helped me that day. He thinks I saw a man doing life in a little restaurant making the same food everyday for over 50 years. What I really saw was a role model of endurance doing mundane tasks with the right heart attitude.....that's a hero. I left that day with a guacamole cup and a side order of contentment.

(Mr. Chapa, the owner of Teka Molino who maintained his post behind the counter for over 50 years has passed away but they are still making great guacamole cups at Teka.  I do not live in San Antonio therefore I am on a constant quest to perfect them in my own home. As soon as I do, you can bet I will share them with you here in honor of Mr. Chapa! Maybe next visit they will let me into the kitchen.)

7 comments:

  1. I love Teka Molino! I wish I could grow up right down the street from a restaurant like that. Thanks for making me feel that I did by letting me make guacamole cups with you. Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. goosebumps as I read.....and I've never even been to Teka Molina or had a guacamole cup! As always, thanks for being such an encourager through your words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I laughed and goosebumped through the first 3 blogs - can't wait to read more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read all three of your posts and what an encouragement! I love your honesty and openness. And can I just say a guacamole cup sounds like a little piece of heaven? :)
    Brenna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could be those few soldiers at the Alamo knew what they were fighting for---Life, liberty and some mighty good guacamole cups---there's no place like home, especially with a little deep-fried cup of guacamOLE' ! I wouldn't mind a few bean rolls too. Love you and love to read your sweet words...

    ReplyDelete
  6. One more thing---don't you think that little piece of cold lettuce was key? It gave it a little crunch to mix in with the smoooooth---yeah baby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes, I remember Art and the guacamole cups, the fideo, and so much more from Mr. Natural across the street from the N. St. Mary's location in the early 70's.....

    ReplyDelete