little things.

Come on in and celebrate the small with me. It's the fragile, little things of life that take our breath away, make us smile, give us a reminder or pause us for prayer. It may be a quote, a thought, a verse, a happening in the day or even some real baking.....you can be sure, whatever it is, it will be in a small bite and you will be able to get on your way. And oh, by the way, share a little thing back because I listen real big.....(at least for the next 5 minutes).

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

littlethings bakeshop now open!

I am a long-time student in the bakeshop of little things. I am the mother of a preschooler and a grandmother at the same time. My daughter and I swap babysitting service as well as car seats and child-rearing advice. I'm still at the starting gate at the age of 51. (a smiling sigh)

I have been given five children, not in a neat little row but doled out over the course of 25 years. This means that my entire adult life has been lived with a little person by my side whose attention span (and mine by implication,) is no longer than 5 minutes long....(what was I saying? I can't remember).

I have not graduated past Hop on Pop.
I still go to places where I can color on placemats.
I have lived through 3 decades of Sesame Street.
Give me the three point sermon so I can remember one; Cut to the chase in your story and serve me food I can eat standing up because five minutes from now I will be taking someone to the potty.

I live life one itty bit at a time.

Make no mistake, this is not me complaining. This is me laughing--laughing at life that comes to me in ways I never expect but loving the big, ginormous God that gives it to me in small, manageable bites. He makes me feel my own littleness, not in a bad way, but in a "sheltered from the storm" kind of way.

You will find me poking fun at myself and I feel sure I am not done making mistakes, but thank goodness I get to hand Him a clean plate every morning and anticipate something good or at least good for me. What will He dish out today and how will I respond? Those two questions are little and huge at the same time. His daily work and my attitude toward it are probably the littlest biggest things in my world.

So come on in and celebrate the small with me. It's the fragile, little things of life that take our breath away, make us smile, give us a reminder or pause us for prayer. It may be a quote, a thought, a verse, a happening in the day or even some real baking.....you can be sure, whatever it is, it will be in a small bite and you will be able to get on your way. And oh, by the way, share a little thing back because I listen real big.....(at least for the next 5 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment